aLL in

Written years ago but never published...

The New York Giants just had won the Super Bowl and I was besides myself. I have been a big Giant fan ( and this is where my wiseass self would say "and I have been a big giant Air Conditioner!") since I was a young pup. I have softened as a sports fan as I am getting older. I am not sure if it's because I am losing interest with grown men that make too much money playing little boy sports or if I am just getting more creative and would rather spend my time more productively. I think its the creative side of me coming out. Regardless, I still have a small flame inside for the NY Football G-men.

Although I would love to become a full time writer, I do need to put food on our table so I work in the Corporate world. I am a Team Leader, someone who motivates, coaches, recognizes good behavior and at times takes discipline when necessary. There are parallels when you are dealing with a team, regardless of whether its a game you love or a game you need to play. What I find most intriguing about there Giants "Giant" turnaround was that it involved a teacher from NJ. Apparently he is a friend of a friend or a relative of a coach. The story escapes me as to how he had gotten the giant audience but he got there regardless. He was the one who brought up the concept of being "All In". This is the idea of throwing all your poker chips into the center for a big bet or gamble on what you believe will have great payout or payoff. Very interesting though hardly groundbreaking. The biggest surprise is that it worked! He is becoming an overnight success since the big win Sunday and the Giants have given him a big thank you for his contribution. As a leader, this kind of turnaround is just so motivating. I am also trying to bottle this "All In" chip to make an impact in my own workplace now. I will let you know of any results as soon as there are some. I believe Self Motivation, staying positive and  nurturing people has to make a comeback in this day and age. I will generalize and say that the world has become shallow as far as media, entertainment and sports. Most information comes fast and furious but with some substance missing. The books of old have been replaced with E-readers. "I'll call you later" has been replaced with smart phones on demand. Libraries to laptops and tablets, you get it. The importance of anything gets muddied in texting on the spot. We see wars on TV, we play video games with violence. We are both accepting and impatient, depending on the moment. One thing though has been steady throughout time, and that is human emotional need. We all need  pick me up, and nod to know we are doing it right, a pat on the back to get a warm, fuzzy on the situation at hand. I believe the All In idea was a great tool used at the right time for a team on the verge of a breakdown. I think we all need to be All In. i will do my leadership part at my current full time job. What will you do to be All In?



Comments