wHAT the world needs now are the beatles

2012. The last year of our lives, so it is written. I think it is written. I haven't seen it written. I haven't seen it written in any calendar. I am sure others have put it down on paper, typed it into smart phones and have noted it down in their little black books that the world will stop soon. This is a sobering moment when you consider it. The end of the world? I like to believe that the world will go on like it always had, well, maybe not like it always had but it will go on. It seems like the world is a little down lately. The economy is slumping and people are out of work. A lot of people are out of work. Those who are lucky enough to still be working are working at a feverish pace, with less people to work with they take on more. The position of strength stands with the rich and the powerful. I am here to propose a challenge to the world. I want someone to find me The Beatles! Let me explain. I recently received a gift from a friend. It was (just about) the entire CD collection of Beatles' albums. From Please Please Me to Let It Be. I had mentioned, at an earlier date, that I grew up loving 1960's and 1970's music and that i was bored with the current scene. This friend of mine took it upon herself to copy the entire collection she owned and give them to me. I was ecstatic. I had some new music, albeit old, to listen to. I had all the hits and all the almost hits. I placed them into my computer and burned them one by one, careful to make sure I had the right album covers and titles for each song and album. It was a long process, a full night, but well worth it. before I knew it, I was jamming to songs I felt I grew up with (of course, I had not grown up with them, I was born 2 years after their breakup, 1972) The one thing that The Beatles possessed and still do today, is magic. They took the world by surprise and by storm. They warmed the hearts of the world and stood as figures of fun, of change and excitement. As I played the songs aloud, I noticed a small little ear bending my way. I realized that my daughter had not heard these songs before. It was a pleasure to watch her eyes light up to Let It Be and Yesterday. I have some added attachment to the band, explaining to my young girl that my half uncle, a man that worked for Manny's Music in New York City and a man I never met, was the guitar luthier for John Lennon for many years and was a good friend to him, until his untimely death. My daughter's eyes widened with amazement. We spent the rest of the night listening to these golden oldies.

Why does the world need The Beatles again? We need that excitement, that fire. We have endured such a long layoff of talent in the music industry. Rock is truly dead. Auto tune rules the airwaves. If you aren't investing in an MP3 player or satellite radio, you must try to endure the overplayed, endless repeat of the top 20 hits, dictated by rich music execs. There are some talented individuals out there, but they are mostly suppressed, only expressing what is allowed by their ruling parties. We need doors broken down, we need walls kicked in. We need a talented group to bust out of the dread and express what the world feels. Put a smile on your face when theirs songs are playing. Young girls screaming and crying at the site of them. This is what is needed. The theme of Occupiers better yet, the embodiment of what it was meant to be. We need people to Come Together right now, to Get Back to where they once belonged. You say you want a Revolution? What we really need is Help! There was a time when music could transcend politics and war. We need that now. Crumbling economies, religious wars, looming doom of the end of the world... when All You Need is Love! 

Comments